Translate

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Blackhawk Farms Spring Super Crit


Got that Honda loaded down, headed toward something new.


Getting set up in the pits

The ten minutes at the start line seemed like forever

Out front early

Better luck next time, Dad.

Tried my first "Crit" this weekend, and got my ass kicked.  Going into the race I thought for sure I was going to win no problem.  I mean they make me start in Cat 5, how hard could it be?  Well its tough no doubt.  

Somehow I got it in my head that it was going to be a three lap race, and so toward the end of lap 3 I gunned it and got way out front, looked back and wondered why no one was even trying to keep up. 

 Then I wondered why they weren't waving the checkered flag at the finish line, I even took my hands off the bars to get ready for my victory fist pump, then I heard the truth "fourth lap green, GO GO GO!!"  Only problem was that there was no more go in these legs, I put everything into lap three.  I had no idea there was going to be a lap 6.

Lesson learned next time pay attention to the announcer at the start, check the timer on my handlebars, and don't try and skip CAT 5 by racing the Cat 4/5 race.

I know in my head I could have finished well if I would have been smarter about it.  Now I just have to wait till next time to prove it.  Next Crit isn't for awhile though, which is fine, next up is Trans Iowa (340 miles of gravel), followed by Almonzo Royal (162 miles of gravel), and WEMS in Kettle Moraine(8 hours of single track).  So I should have a good base going by next time. -David Swanson

"The only source of knowledge is experience."
Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment