Translate

Friday, January 25, 2013

Hamster Wheel

One nice thing about riding inside... Your less likely to spill beer!
This week I have decided to wimp out on the cold days and ride inside on the trainer. I haven't ridden on the trainer at all since last winter, so it wasn't bad at first. I even linked a few days in a row, but its newness is wearing off and I want to get back outside.  Hopefully this weekend will present some opportunities.

Multitasking! Evan is reading up on the latest in Lean Manufacturing Techniques

The main thing you miss out on while riding inside is the chance to turn the brain off and ride.  When I'm riding outside, especially in the woods, my mind shuts off and I just concentrate on the task at hand.  It is nice to be able to do homework and ride bikes at the same time, but neither my legs nor my brain get the full work out.  I'm ready for warmer weather!

The El Mariachi is under going some changes, brakes and wheels at the moment.  The Hayes Stroker Ace are super powerful, but a bit overkill for the type of riding I do.  So they are on ebay right now and hopefully will be replaced with something nice.  I am thinking the simplicity of the BB7's with cables instead of hydraulic, but I may change my mind soon.  The rear wheel spokes made it through the year, but they are starting to loosen up on a regular basis now.  I will probably just replace the rear wheel for now but possibly the wheelset depending on overtime at work.  I need to start grabbing stuff for Trans Iowa too, so a rigid fork, frame bag, and a Garmin GPS computer may find its way on my bike as well.

I'll keep you updated.

-David




1 comment:

  1. Agreed, indoors is okay. You can read a book or magazine, and yes not spill the coffee "my beer ". But barely making 8 mph in first track snow is more exhilarating!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete