Sunday, December 9, 2012

Cold, Wet, Miserable and Perfect

I wasn't the only goofball out in the cold rain, that black dot in the lake is a couple dedicated fisherman.

I checked the weather before I left and for some reason I didn't believe the 90% chance of rain/snow mix.  Either I was being optimistic and hoping for the 10% chance of clear skies or I just didn't want to wear rain gear.  Either way I was under dressed.  I made it to Lake Geneva pretty dry, just a wet butt from the rear tire spray, then it switched from light drizzle to a pretty good rain. I was warm enough through the hilly sections on Snake Rd.  The puddles inside my shoes were warmed by my feet so it wasn't to bad.  Then its mostly down hill to Williams Bay and thats when it got cold.  I was soaked through in 35 degree weather and riding down hill at 25ish mph.  

I wanted so badly to call Christina and have her pick me up.  I was imagining loading the bike in the back and turning the heat in the truck on full blast.  I couldn't do it though, I just kept riding.  I'm glad I did because it felt good to make it home on my own. As Jay would say, its time to "Harden Up."  Today showed me I need to learn to dress better, and start putting more miles in.

This weather is for the ducks!

I'm still contemplating bikes for Trans Iowa. It feels like I'm working pretty hard on the mariachi, and I would like drop bars.  I can put drop bars on the mariachi, but then I'd also like a rigid fork.  Which can be done as well but as long as I'm doing that my brakes are way overkill for gravel riding.  And the list goes on and on.  Its a mountain bike and I love it in the woods which is where it belongs.  So now I'm thinking cyclocross bike, and there have been some pretty nice used bikes going on ebay.  There is a surly cross check with fenders right now that has my eye but I think the seller is a little high on his price.  Thankfully I still have time to think about it.

A nice smooth gravel road outside Harvard

No comments:

Post a Comment